Butter and sugar are staples in holiday baking, but you can combine great taste with better nutrition by making a few small changes to your seasonal sweets:
- Include fruits and nuts in cookies, cakes and breads. They'll add flavor, texture and color as well as fiber and nutrients
- Use Neufchatel or reduced fat cream cheese in cheesecakes to keep calories in check
- Try recipes using fruit or vegetable purees that replace some of the fat for a moist product with fewer calories
- Skip frosting and garnish cakes with fresh fruit or a dusting of cocoa
- Above all, keep portion control in mind
Save with this week's Eating Healthy on a Budget recipe, featuring items from our current circular.
One-Skillet Rice, Vegetables and Shrimp
With the busy holiday season approaching try this quick-fix meal to fit your schedule. While rice is cooking, capture the heat in the same skillet to steam vegetables and shrimp. Finish the meal with juicy pineapple chunks.
|Makes four 3 cup servings • Prep time: 10 minutes • Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon GIANT canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove GIANT garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chopped GIANT celery
- 1 cup GIANT long grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups GIANT broccoli cuts, florets or stir fry vegetables
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, thawed in refrigerator if frozen
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in the skillet for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the celery and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in rice and water, cover and bring to a boil.
Turn heat down to low, place broccoli and shrimp on top of the rice, cover and simmer (you may need to adjust heat so that contents continue to simmer gently) for 15 minutes until rice is cooked, broccoli is tender and shrimp are pink. Season with lemon juice and pepper. Divide among plates. Enjoy!
Nutrition information per serving: 330 calories, 6g fat, 1g saturated fat, 175mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 745g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 25g protein
BONUS BUY™ Savings week of December 1th to December 7th for this recipe:
- Simple Peel Shrimp
- GIANT Frozen Vegetables
- GIANT Canned Pineapple